Penn State York in the 1950s
By fall of 1950 the York Center consolidated both its day and evening operations
Also in 1950, Edward M. Elias became the first full-time employee and faculty member at the Penn State General Extension Center in York. At that time the center served twenty-five daytime and 300 evening students. The York Center remained at Wilson until the fall of 1953, when it was moved into the Shiloh Elementary Building.
An important program change took place with the initiation of the two-year
Elias, considered one of the founders of the campus, recognized the need for a permanent facility. Elias saw that goal begin to become a reality in 1956, when the school’s advisory board provided funds to purchase eight acres of land on Edgecomb Avenue and the construction of the first campus building.
As enrollment increased, a two-story, 100-by-75-foot, classroom-laboratory-administration
Elias served the campus until 1985, helping to bring Penn State York from a part-time extension program that rented space in old elementary schools to a complete undergraduate campus. Since then, York has had three campus executive officers: John J. Romano, Donald A. Gogniat and York ’s current leader, Joel M. Rodney.